Collaborating with dental experts in the top U.S. dental school from teachers to experienced clinicians, over the past year, we have created a distinctive, immersive dental curriculum which builds a skill-set, complementary to the cognitive and commercial education that our Fellows would typically acquire in dental assistant school. Our career training curriculum is designed to provide Fellows with:
- Education, training and experience needed to qualify for entry-level positions in this exciting field, and have them ready to work in less than a year.
- Combine traditional classroom lectures with group projects and hands-on training in a simulated dental office setting.
- Training in valuable clinical, radiographic and administrative procedures, and how to operate the clinic and diagnostic equipment found in most modern dental offices, including amalgamators, dental units and chairs, model trimmers, oral evacuation equipment, oxygen tanks, personal computers, ultrasonic units, and X-ray units.
- Cavitron—An equipment lease of high-quality ultrasonic portable dental cleaning equipment to kick-start the development of mobile, community dental clinics
- Strong advisory support—each Fellow is assigned an international mentor (Dentist, Dental Hygienist), providing dynamic, hands-on mentorship ranging from dental advice to personal and professional development
- Access to resources—a diverse array of training, materials, and professional services are available to help Fellows navigate the challenges of this new field
- Community—access to the Unspoken Smiles Foundation's network of advisers, socially-responsible supporters, and an action-oriented peer group
- Externship where they will get to work for several weeks in an actual local dental office.
Representing the World’s Diversity
Although this is a new program, our Fellows will hail from every impoverished country and will have implemented original Field Projects around the world. Most of our Fellows will be women.
Why train women?
Societies prosper when women are educated. Educated women are healthier and can earn incomes that can lift their households out of poverty.
These benefits are transferred to their children, who are better educated and have better health care.
According to the United Nations Girls Education Initiative (UNGEI), educated women will have access to higher-paying jobs, which will impact their families’ finances as well as contribute to their national economy. They are also more likely to improve nutrition and seek medical care for themselves and their families, and participate in political and social decision-making.
Communities and countries will benefit from a more educated workforce, and increasing women's participation in the formal economy through skill building programs like our Fellowship Program leads to greater economic growth.
Not only is educating women essential to achieve higher levels of economic growth and development, it is also the right thing to do for humanity.
A LIFELONG COMMITMENT
The Unspoken Smiles Fellowship is not a one-month experience. It is a Lifelong commitment to becoming skilled in dentistry and advancing the Unspoken Smiles Foundation’s movement to create access to quality dental services in under-served communities for generations to come.
FELLOWS ADDRESS OUR MOST PRESSING GLOBAL CHALLENGES
Access to Healthcare – Women Empowerment – Decent work & Economic Development – Quality Education
A Selective & Supportive Process
June: Online applications/ Webinars, digital resources, and samples questions available in advance
August: Applications screened, career aptitude test reviewed by Unspoken Smiles team, announcement of up to 20 incoming fellows.
September: Beginning of five-week training
October – December: Externship
In order to be eligible for an Unspoken Smiles Fellowship, the applicant must be:
Frequently Asked Questions
Looking for more information?
- Application Deadline is Monday, July 31ST at 11:00 PM (11:00) ET.
- See our resource of Commonly Asked Questions About the Fellowship and Application.
- Please note that we do not accept any phone inquiries regarding the Fellowship application.
- If your questions are not answered on any of these pages, please email email@example.com.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the above link to access the 2017 Fellowship application and FAQs. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.